What a time to be a 49ers fan! The team just finished destroying the Panthers and we aim our sights at the Arizona Cardinals. Let’s get right to it!
1. Emmanuel Sanders Takes A Back Seat – We were all very excited about the Sanders acquisition and rightfully so. He led the team in snaps played at the WR position (55) and had 4 receptions and a touchdown. Way to introduce yourself to the faithfuls! But this week, he’ll only take the 3rd or 4th amount of snaps from the WR group. This will be Sanders’ 2nd Thursday night game, in 3 weeks. He will be playing his 3rd game in 14 days (sounds crazy, right?!). So the team will plan accordingly.
2. Dante Pettis Shows Up Big – Pettis has had a disappointing season according to many faithfuls. People expected to see the 2nd year WR break out this season, but instead, he’s basically broken down. Hauling in just 10 receptions for 88 yards and 1 touchdown over the course of 7 games, Pettis has become an after thought. That changes this week. Looking at the match-ups this week and the likely limited role of Sanders, Pettis will be just the chess piece Shanahan needs. I expect the sophomore wideout to bring in 6 targets for 78 yards and a touchdown (almost doubling his season totals).
3. Run Game Dominance Continues – the 49ers enter the match-up averaging 188 rushing yards a game. I don’t think they quite hit that total, however, the team will run effectively and efficiently. The Cardinals should enter the game expecting a run first attack since it’s a shortened week, so they’ll stack the box giving Jimmy Garoppolo quick throwing lanes to take advantage of. And he will.
4. Defense Shows Off – I know you’re probably thinking that this isn’t bold, right? But it’s more than just sacks and pressures this week. The defense records 4 picks, and 2 forced fumbles while getting into the endzone twice! If you have the 49ers defense in fantasy, START EM!
5. Jaquiski Tartt Gets An Interception and Fumble Recovery – the teams strong safety has been playing at a pro bowl level, but is hardly getting any recognition. Under the bright lights of prime time football, only the brightest stars can be seen, and on game day, JT will show exactly why the 49ers extended him when they did.
6. K’Waun Williams Shows Up Big – remember way back in week 1 where we wanted to cut Williams due to his horrid performance? No? That was only me? Well, he’s served a ton of crow to his doubters since then. Looking like the best nickle corner in the league, Williams will get a chance to showcase his entire display! Intelligence, physicality, speed, power and range will all play a part in a game where Williams will get the most snaps of the season (so far). The Cardinals are a team that uses 4 and 5 WR sets at times so it will be All Hands On Deck for the DB room of the 49ers. He’ll finish 2nd in tackles and record an interception